Thursday, February 5, 2009

Our Austrian Getaway



Last weekend, we had a fabulous time snowboarding and relaxing in Semmering, Austria. It is a cute tiny village not far from Vienna, and we went with our friends, Ken and Noemi who have a daughter, Minu, the same age as Chloe and Marta who takes care of both Minu and Chloe during the week. We also brought Burton, who got his first taste of snow up to his belly. He had so much fun just jumping through it! We stayed at a quaint pension/hotel that worked out perfectly for the babies - it had a restaurant and common area that - thanks to baby monitors - we were able to hang out in while the babies were sleeping.

Here's a pic of Burton in the snow next to our hotel:


We were within walking distance of the mountain, and John got his first taste of snowboarding in I think 4 years! I would definitely call it only a taste as the mountain was pretty small - only 2 ski lifts! We spent our time on basically 3 different runs, and 3 hours (or less!) per day for me was plenty. The runs were nice, and it snowed on and off both days so there was plenty of powder cover. I think I captured all the runs in one photo:

It was perfect for a short weekend getaway as it was less than 2 hours from Bratislava, easily accessible and small enough to walk everywhere. It was a preview warm up to our planned trip to St. Anton in March with my mom. It's a very famous Austrian ski area, and we are really looking forward to it.

The girls had a great time playing together - they are really crawling everywhere and interested in everything around them - especially the curtains. They could have played with them for hours! I think Marta had great fun too - she helped us out for a couple of hours each day so John and I could ski together and also just hung out with the babies and relaxed - except on our walk when Burton was pulling her every which way because he was so excited (and she's not too much bigger than he is!).


Thanks to Ken and Noemi, John and I were also introduced to Austria's own soda, Almdudler. It's very yummy, light, made from herbs and easy to drink - a little like ginger ale, but better. I already bought some for the house! It was a pleasantly surprising contast to Kofola, the national soda of Slovakia, which is a heavy, NON-CARBONATED, licorice tasting soda (think Coke that is flat and warm).

We are so thankful to be able to go to all these amazing places - and with great friends. We are truly enjoying our adventure of a lifetime!

2 comments:

Cherbear said...

fun!!! is st. anton the place that's that really nice, luxury resort? st. anton is the name of my favorite trail at mammoth. man, i would love to visit you guys and go boarding!

Rebekah Scott, M.MFT, LPC, LMFTA said...

hey that first picture of the babies the snow looks like clouds it is very very cool; I can't wait to come see you all