Assigned seats at the movies is a foreign concept in the US, and I'd imagine people would be up in arms if the theaters there tried to put it in place. I felt the same way when I lived in Spain. Why can't I just get my ticket, walk into the theater, and choose my seat? It's against my given rights in a democratic society to have the ticket booth person choose my seat for me. Even if I can choose my seat when I purchase the ticket, how am I supposed to know if Row G or Row H is better without actually being in the theater?
That was then, in 1999 (was it that long ago?). Now, with influx and flurry of online purchasing, I think assigned seats at the movies could be one of the greatest inventions of modern times.
John and I were planning a date night last Saturday night. We had the babysitter lined up and decided to go see Vicky Christina Barcelona, a Woody Allen movie that made its way here. We don't have many choices, as few movies besides the major blockbusters get released here.
In a snap, I went online, determined the movie time we wanted to go to, and had the option of reserving the seats or purchasing them. I can pick seats looking at the plan of the actual theater where the movie is showing - it's easy to see the screen and how far the seats are from it. If I reserved the seats, then I just have to show up at least 30 minutes beforehand to purchase them. If I purchase the seats, then they are mine, and I can show up at any time.We purchased, and within 30 seconds I had a text message on my phone with the record number for claiming my tickets.
That night, John and I had a leisurely dinner prior to the movie - no need to rush to the theater! Ten minutes prior to the start, we arrived at the theater and saw huge long lines for people waiting to buy tickets. Then, I saw the glorious kiosk where I could get my tickets. No line. I simply punched in the number from my phone, and there they were!
No worrying about the movie being sold out, or having to get there super early such that your popcorn is gone even before the previews start. Overall, a much more enjoyable experience. Maybe, given the chance, it might not do so badly in the US afterall.
Construction Final'ish Stages
11 years ago


1 comment:
wow, that IS a great concept! i would be all for that. btw, i watched "he's just not that into you" this weekend...HAHA made me think of our little trip to barnes & noble this past summer. anyway, buying online would have been perfect in this case, as we went on opening night. which, incidentally, i haven't done in more than 10 years!
Post a Comment